In today’s article, we are going to take a look at the 12 best free Shopify themes.
We have picked these themes because they are:
- Cater to different niches
As we all know when a new website visitor comes to your online store, they are forming a quick opinion of whether your business is worth interacting with or not.
And the first thing that they notice without a shadow of a doubt is your theme and top navigation.
There you have a couple of seconds to deliver an amazing first impression and show the potential customer what your store is about and how it is different.
For our list, It is worth pointing out that there aren’t a ton of free Shopify themes out there due to a couple of factors.
Mainly because most dropshippers using Shopify want an all-in-one store solution and to have their store up and running in no time which is the reason why they turn to Shopify in the first place.
That is why most of the free themes on our list are from the Shopify store itself with a few other third-party free themes.
For both the Shopify ones and third-party ones we will give you our take on what we like and why we think they are the best ones.
Free vs Paid Shopify Themes: Is there a huge difference?
This is one of the first questions that comes to mind for most of us when we think of Shopify’s themes(especially when the price tag is 100 $ and up).
Whether you pick a free or paid shopify theme, all of them include the following features:
- Great design
- Built-in styles and color palettes
- Search engine optimized
Probably the most obvious difference between the free and paid shopify themes is the number of available themes.
When we visit the Shopify theme store, we can clearly see that we have 6 times more paid themes available.
Except for the variety factor, here are the biggest benefits of investing in a paid Shopify theme:
- Paid themes include specific features designed to improve user experience and conversions( product sliders, custom contact forms, quick buy button, etc.)
- They can save you money by not having to buy a bunch of other tools to improve functionality when you scale.
- The level of support for paid themes is better( there is much more incentive to keep you happy).
- You have more design options when it comes to paid themes.
If you are just starting out then it would be best to stick to one of the free shopify themes for now.
Can you Integrate in your store free themes outside of Shopify’s app store?
We have included this section to settle the confusion when it comes to Shopify themes.
A lot of people believe that you cannot use a 3rd party shopify theme for your ecommerce store.
And that is true and false at the same time to a certain extent.
Yes, you can use 3rd party themes as long as they are built using the Liquid code.
The biggest disadvantage of choosing a theme outside of the Shopify app store is that you will need to contact the developers of that theme if any issues arise.
We have some very popular- incredible free themes that are outside of the Shopify theme store as well on our list.
Let’s move on to our list of free themes.
The 12 Best Free Shopify Themes
What we like about Debut:
- Highly customizable due to its multiple in-built features(9 to be precise)
- Clean, simplistic layout
- Easy to navigate
What we like about Brooklyn:
- A truly elegant design( top navigation text color matches with the logo and header text)
- The theme is built specifically with multiple features to showcase your products( header slideshow, dynamic product grid, and home page video integration)
What we like about Simple:
- Just like Brooklyn, it allows you to showcase your products.
- The 3 Different styles are perfect for a range of niches.
Debutify is a third-party theme optimized for Shopify users.
The biggest challenge with picking a third-party free Shopify theme is that the popular ecommerce platform does not update the theme nor provide support if any issues arise.
Debutify, due to it being very popular, has a huge team of developers and provides 24/7 customer support which is rare for most of the themes you will find online.
What we like about Debutify:
- It is the highest-converting free shopify theme(for aspiring millionaires).
- It has 4.8 stars from 2,500 reviews.
- They provide 24/7 customer support for all theme users( say goodbye to writing emails and waiting for a response from a theme developer).
What we like about Narrative:
- 4 different styles to choose from(they can be applied to a wide range of niches)
- A wide range of features giving complete functionality in terms of text, video, and imagery for crafting and showcasing your brand’s story.
What we like about Boundless:
- A minimalist theme that puts the emphasis on your product imagery and can be adapted to all potential niches regarding fashion and beauty.
- Great for single product stores where you want to focus on a single product
What we like about Venture
- Ideal for the Sports &Outdoors niche
- It is great for stores with a lot of categories/products to offer(general dropshipping stores)
Again on our list, we have a third-party theme.
What we like about Fashe:
- It is a freemium theme( it was supposed to be paid, but they decided to leave it free- better functionality than most free themes)
- A clean and simplistic theme that can be adapted to a wide range of niches.
What we like about Supply:
- Simplistic design.
- As it says, the theme is ideal if you have a general dropshipping store or a lot of inventory that you want to showcase.
What we like about Minimal:
- It is a theme that can be adapted to a wide range of niches( Vintage, Home Decor, Fashion)
- It is a great theme to use if you happen to have a local store and want to keep things “minimal”
Template monster isn’t a theme itself, but more of a marketplace where you can purchase different third-party website templates, plug-ins, and graphics.
Keeping that in-mind, they have a lot of free themes that are specifically designed to be used for Shopify stores.
You also get some suggestions for which niches they would be ideal.
If you want to have the option to receive customer support in case you run into issues with any of their products(themes in this case), you will need to join their 14$/month membership.
And of course you receive the other benefits listed on the homepage.
We hope you have found this article helpful.
Drop us a comment below which one of these themes is your favourite so others can see.